Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Current and recently finished crafts

So I have been waiting forever for the paper mentioned in this project by Crafty Chica to be for sale. It seems that it will never be, so I am working on my own. This is mainly done by image searching on google and copying images I like, plus I am working on a few linoleum cut stamps to add to it. All this work for a few sheets of paper to use for decoupaging a tissue box. My images are all black and white though.
It seems that me and Kathy have more in common that just the paper. I have been dying to work with resin for so long. I bought some in the states but after reading all of the warnings about the fumes and skin contact, I chickened out. So after much searching, I finally found a site who would ship it to me. Shhhh! Nothing so far is amazing, just some glitter imbedded, so no pics. But I do have so much more planned for it. I have been searching to no avail for information on making molds out of polymer clay for resin. It seems that all I can do is go ahead and try it out. I have very special plans for this though, very much inspired by Tarina Tarantino.

Now for some pics. A few weeks ago, I hosted a caffeine kicker for MOMS Club. I only owned 2 mugs at the time, so this was a great excuse to buy some more. However, the selection here is less than stellar, so I bought plain white ones and painted them with glass paint. I screwed a few up and I just scrubbed the design off and repainted them, then baked them to a permanent finish that's dishwasher safe. (Psst. mmy husband's favorite one is the one of the far left, the flower-y one!! This cracks me up.) They have really inspired me to do the same for baby shower favors for a friend. No clue on a pattern yet though.
August2006 092

I also made a heating pad cover. I based it on the one in Denyse Schmidt Quilts. I say based, because I just kind of winged (wung?) the pattern. There's no nearby Kinko's to go copy the pattern at 400% so I improvised with a newspaper.
I love my heating pad. It is a permanent resident on my couch due to frequent back aches (and sometimes I use it when I'm cold, okay!) The old cover was soooooo ugly. Now it's so pretty that it makes me want all new throw pillows in similar happy colors (and a new couch too....)
August2006 091

So this is kind of silly, but...
Cale kept asking where his watch was. He sees me wearing one, and his dad has one that Cale kept trying to swipe. I'm sure someone makes kid's watches, but with a 2 inch diameter wrist, I doubt any would fit. Plus, its not like he can read it, or tell time for that matter. So I made him a fake one. Its a reversible cuff. The look on his face when I showed him was worth it. So worth it.
August2006 098
August2006 096
His hand is covered in paint in the first picture (not filth.) :D


PS. Does anyone else read Bust magazine? Amy Karol, aka Angry Chicken has an article on how to make aprons, and Hillary's lovely pattern book is also featured! I felt all warm and fuzzy like I know them in real life or something. ;)

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer W. said...

Love the mugs! Great idea, and I'm sure you will think of something cute for use as shower favors.

Can't wait to see your resin creations. I haven't been bitten by that bug yet, but I'm sure you will inspire me!

2:30 PM  
Blogger laura capello said...

The heating pad cover is seriously cute, as is the mugs. Gah. Your amazing. Quit it.

3:10 PM  
Blogger MéLisa said...

I love the heating pad cover! I need to make one for mine, it’s the most hideous combination of colors & really worn out. Great idea! I had not seen that resin stuff before. I am curious to see what you make!

3:18 PM  
Blogger *s* said...

I should of had tea or coffee so I could of used one of those mugs :) Those are cute. Geez... where do you find the time? :)

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your site and that little watch is so cute.
Can I please use the photo of that boy's watch on my site? I want to make one for my little girl and a tutorial to go with it. I will link back to you.
Cheers
Mia

4:51 AM  
Anonymous Discounted craft said...

This is such a wonderful site. i love your crafts so much. This gives me ideas for my gift sets.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home