Friday, May 26, 2006

I went on a killing rampage yesterday

Ants have been coming in my house since it started warming up. I didn't mind so much at first because they don't bite and they carry the crumbs away. I joked that they were my clean up crew. Yesterday though, they crossed the line of annoying houseguest when I went to open a pack a crackers for Cale and found they had chewed their way through a package and were inside. We had a 10 pack of crackers and they were in about 6 of them. I am pretty against poison since I have a small child who likes to eat weird things and crawls around on the ground. Everyone is like, "Go get the Italian poison from the nursery." Um, I looked at that stuff and it may as well have had a skull and crossbones on it.
So I looked up alternative ways to get rid of them. My search revealed that several powdery substances such as chalk, baby powder, cinnamon and nutmeg detract ants from coming in. I have all those things! I decided on cinnamon because it smells good, I have a huge bottle of it and it was downstairs already. What can I say, I'm lazy. It seemed to go well. I opened the lid near the ants and they started going nuts! So I poured it around every place I know they come in through and all over my pantry. They made new places to come through and I poured more. Those caught running away were shot down with windex. Millions and millions of ants suffered yesterday.
I think it worked pretty well and I'm pretty proud of myself, except...
My whole body is itchy. Like crazy bee sting itchy. My nose is itchy too. It turns out that people can be allergic to cinnamon. Who knew? I honestly thought I just had the creepy crawlies from seeing so many icky ants yesterday. Guess I should have used poison. It never makes my eyes twitch.
Actually I may try chalk. (I just really hate touching it though.)

2 Comments:

Blogger capello said...

The thing about ants that gets me, is that I'll leave some dead ones around to send a message to their friends and they JUST DON'T GET IT.

There is an outdoor spray that we use that is pretty good. Once it dries it's not suppose to harm kids, plus my kids don't play right where we spray it.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may find it interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_defecation_postures

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home