Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Back from camping

We got back yesterday evening, exhausted and so glad to return. It was fun, but I'm more of a 1 night camping kind of girl, if you know what I mean. We went on a trip with a whole bunch of other people from base. The whole campground was filled with Americans, which I never got, because it was about a 5 hour trip. Plus we live on an island, so there's no shortage of beaches and campgrounds in Sicily. Anywho, it was both nice and not nice. Nice because if you needed something, you could just go ask another family (I'll get to that in a minute) and not so nice because military people have the knack of talking about work, no matter how far from it they are and it becomes a bragfest. Luckily this was mostly overheard and not directed at us. We arrived at the campgounds and I had to pee so bad. They pointed me in the right direction and I went to find it. All I could find though were rows and rows of these:

That's not a shower. Showers don't have holes in the ground. I finally found the one lone toilet. Honestly I would rather pee outside behind the building that in that weird thing (though I ended up peeing in one when I was really drunk.)
So we eventually set up camp and spent the rest of the day at the beach. We came back to shower and even though we had to pay for a hot shower, they were cold. about 20 minutes later they were fixed.
We sat down to eat and something was poking my foot. I was like what is that, so I looked down and saw that I had sat on a bee. I said the eff word a whole bunch, because bee stings suck. We borrowed some benadryl and benadryl spray (which by the way is awesome) and ate our dinner. My first bee sting was last year and it hurt forever and swelled my finger up very big. It itched so bad, I remember gnawing on it. My foot started puffing up and I started feeling drunk (about 2 seconds later after the bite.) From what I have read, the drunk feeling is not normal. Its a sign of allergy. I never found a stinger to pull out, so I just figured the bee didn't leave one.
The next day went well. We spent another day at the beach. I'll pause here to show you the beauty:



The color of the water again the "sand" was beautiful. It wasn't sand though, but rocks. That's pretty normal here. When it is sand, its rough and grating feeling. Smooth pebbles are preferable to us. Once we went to a loofah beach and it was really gross. It looked very pretty, like white sand, but it felt like ashes and it kept grossing me out.

Cale had a blast and stayed filthy the entire time, no matter what we did. That kid attracts dirt.

For having no naps and going to bed late and waking up early every day, he was pretty good. He could have spent the whole time throwing rocks in the water. He never got bored!

That night after we put Cale to bed, we had a few drinks with some friends. At some point I reached down and touched my very itchy foot and felt a bubble. My first thought was "It's like a tetanus shot." Although my husband later corrected me that what I meant was a PPD. (He would know, he gets shots every 6 months!) When I went to sleep, I kept waking up if it touched the mattress. I woke up and looked at it eventually and nearly freaked out. Its about nickle sized and pokes out about 1/2 an inch. I had no clue what to do. I took more benadryl, slept all morning because of it and figured that if it got worse, I would go to the doctor when we got back to base. It never got worse, but its never gotten better either. Exhausted and not really in the mood to put my family through a 2 hour emergency room visit, I just figured I would get home and google it. So I have and I have found nothing. Nothing at all. The only thing I can even find close is this really gross doll. And that's how my foot looks, except its only one sting and its not bleeding nor does it have a stinger sticking out of it. So now I don't know what to do. I know its not normal now, but it also doesn't appear to be life threatening. I'll probably just try and get to the doctor tomorrow. It hurts to walk, so I'm back to limping. Oh and I forgot the best part of all! It stung me in the exact place I sprained my foot! I have the best luck ever!!!

I'll end the post with a picture of a pizza box.

Nothing makes me want to eat pizza quite like almost naked boobies. It says "Would you like...? ...A pizza"
The pizza was actually one of the best I've had in Italy yet. Must have been the boobies. :D

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright, first of all..sorry about your poor foot and I really hopes its nothing.
Now, Those were beautiful pictures that I could look at all day. Glad you had a nice trip and Cale is a beautiful child!
I remember all those weird foreign potties. I wrote about them in my travel journals...I always had to figure out how the heck are you supposed to use THIS one? craziness.
The pizza box-well...whatever. Designed by a lusty man...but at least it's good pizza.

6:45 PM  
Blogger laura capello said...

That doll was really gross.

Is your foot growing eyeballs in the sting? And yes, that totally sounds like an allergy.

The one time I was stung by a wasp, I had to be rushed to the ER (big surprise there, since I'm allergic to e v e r y t h i n g.

Hope you feel better soon!

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We call those "squat pots" in Japan. Takes some getting used to, but not too bad. But then again, I grew up with those (my grandparents had one in their house for years and years), so it's easy for me to say. ^_^

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The beach looks great!!! It reminds me of our own Boracay, or even Pagudpod. I recommend that you go to these beautiful beaches when you happen to visit the Philippines....MABUHAY!!!

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home